Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"The Undergrad"




































This painting is a 3'x4' self portrait on canvas from life.  I painted it in the studio at the school in a very large mirror on the wall.  This painting took over 3 weeks to complete because I had to wait each night until the studio was completely empty to be able to have the lighting where I needed it to be.  All in all I am pretty happy with how it turned out.  I approached it differently than most paintings I do, first because of the size, second because I couldn't work the entire painting while it was still wet.  This ended up being a pretty big challenge and a lot of swear words were directed towards this painting but in the end it came together.  I liked the idea of painting myself doing a painting of myself. You learn quite a bit about yourself as when you stare in a mirror at all the details for hours and hours on end.  It was an awesome experience that I plan on repeating.

No comments:

Post a Comment